Author Topic: Not receiving traffic  (Read 11396 times)

Ray etcheverry

Not receiving traffic
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:30:25 AM »
Flew through LA basin last Saturday and Sunday. No traffic displayed. Running iPad mini and iPad Air. Have DX on wingX. Also have adsb out with king kt74.  This was the first time skyradar has not worked properly. What was strange was I had all indications it was working. Receiving adsb weather, even showed my own aircraft with side number, ahrs working. But no other traffic high or low. Any ideas?

Forum Administrator

• Administrator
Re: Not receiving traffic
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:46:17 PM »
I recommend to request FAA ADS-B out compliance report for the flight. FAA is not sending traffic any more to non-compliant ADS-B out installations.

Ray etcheverry

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 08:48:13 AM »
I asked for report after the kt74 was installed (about 12 months ago) everything was ok then. But I'll see if can get a report for this flight.  If they don't send any traffic to non compliance adsb, how is it that aircraft without adsb out receive traffic.  This works in my husky which also has DX. Seems like a very bad decision to  specially exclude adsb out aircraft. I wouldn't think that possible in the LA basin where you have multiple targets, many with adsb out "tickling" the towers. I would think you would still receive their info (albeit unreliable) and they could not specifically block you.
"

kshaw

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »
i am having the same issue and have same configuration.  I am using latest version of Wing-X, using Skyradar-DX, and also using King KT-74 with ADS-B out.  My transponder had the FAA check immediately after installation and it showed no errors.  I am receiving weather perfectly but zero traffic on last two flights.  I was flying under Washington DC Class B airspace so there should have been plenty of traffic to see.  It worked pretty well before latest version of Wing-X.

Forum Administrator

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 08:18:58 AM »
Sounds like some issue with WingX. Possilby worth contacting them about traffic not being shown. I would also recommend to try running our own SkyRadar software to verify that traffic is being received.

kshaw

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »
I tried Wing-X with a home-built ADS-B receiver and it worked fine so maybe the Wing-X has an issue unique to the Skyradar-DX?  I will check it with your software next time I am at the airport.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:02:54 AM by kshaw »

Ray etcheverry

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
Definitely a wingX problem.  Tried again today. Everything worked except no traffic.  Switched to FlyQ, received traffic perfectly.

Ray etcheverry

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 06:53:37 AM »
Talked with wingX today. They thought I may have had something running in background that caused it to not display traffic. They also recommended updating to 10.1 and trying again.

kshaw

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 06:52:27 PM »
Wing-X also told me that I need to close down all applications in the background before loading Wing-X.  I haven't tried that yet.

Ray etcheverry

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
Tried again making sure everything in background closed.  Still does not work.  But does work with FlyQ, so this is definitely a wingX to skyguard issue.

tomthibault

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »
To those who don't see traffic on an iPad,

I have 2020 compliant Dynon 1090ES TXP, fed by Garmin 430W for GPS position, and had bought a SkyRadar D (original) years ago. I immediately got lots of traffic displayed on WingX.

BTW, SkyRadar outputs data in the Garmin GDL-90 format. The message spec is available on-line at:

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/...c_ICD_RevA.PDF

Now, I have a SkyRadar D2 unit, and the traffic has gone away on WingX. This is because Alexey, some time later, removed Msg hex 14 from the Skyradar output. Wingx relies on this message to display traffic. So does Flt Plan Go. Alexey says that everyone should be using Msg hex 1E and 1F instead.

I have contacted Hilton Software (WingX) and Fltplan.com but so far no correction.

Personally, I switched to FlyQ EFB on the iPad and the traffic is back.

tomthibault

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »
Sorry about the link in the last post.  The document had been taken down.  Found it on another site:

https://github.com/cyoung/stratux/blob/master/notes/GDL90_Public_ICD_RevA.PDF

This forum won't allow that big of an attachment or I would put it here.

Ray etcheverry

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 04:26:34 PM »
Well that explains it partly because I receive traffic on wingX on another DX unit installed in my Husky.  The DX unit installed in my bonanza does not receive traffic on wingX but does on FlyQ.  Bonanza has kt74 out and bottom mounted external antenna for reception.  Husky has the skyguard supplied antennas. 

Carmichael

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 11:26:19 PM »
Wing-X also told me that I need to close down all applications in the background before loading Wing-X.  I haven't tried that yet.

Did it work?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:37:41 AM by Carmichael »